Thursday, May 01, 2014

Standards are Unicorns

Pointed to it by Don Rudder (with Case), I read this post titled Programming Sucks on the blog Still Drinking yesterday and loved it, I particularly liked this line:
...The first few weeks of any job are just figuring out how a program works even if you're familiar with every single language, framework, and standard that's involved, because standards are unicorns... (bold is my emphasis)
I can attest to standards are unicorns even in the work I do, let alone programming. I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every time I heard, "Oh, we just use the standard symbol for this".

Another favorite is...
...There's a team at a Google office that hasn't slept in three days. Somewhere there's a database programmer surrounded by empty Mountain Dew bottles whose husband thinks she's dead. And if these people stop, the world burns...
And another, I've not seen this particular approach to WTF, reminds me of my habit of using EyeTee instead of IT.
...You're all up to date, so that's cool, then everything breaks. "Double you tee eff?" you say, and start hunting for the problem...
After reading his essay see if you understand why Revit is different from AutoCAD, and Microstation, and ArchiCAD, and... See if Tom and Harry's feud over units resonates?

I've mentioned it before that Revit and AutoCAD had different biological parents and then Revit got adopted by AutoCAD's parents. Except we need to factor in the world that Still Drinking's author describes.

okay, back to work, here's to hoping those people don't stop and the world doesn't burn!

2014 Revit OpEd

1 comment:

Barbara said...

THANK YOU! That is my new favorite thing I have ever read on the interswizzle.

:::goes back to swooning over new blog:::